On 24 January 2020, the Association started a donation campaign to support China’s battle against the disease COVID-19 caused by the novel coronavirus 2019-nCov (as how it had been more commonly referred to before it was officially named SARS-CoV-2, “severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2”, by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses). This led to a joint donation platform with eight other British Chinese organisations, which successfully donated a significant amount of medical material to frontline medical staff in China especially in the city of Wuhan.
On 21 March 2020, due to the rapid development of COVID-19 in the UK, the Association started a new donation campaign to support the NHS and frontline medical staff in the UK to fight against COVID-19.
This page is used to disclose and communicate information we feel important to disclose to our donors, our members and the general public.
Disclaimer: ABCP do not take any liability for whoever uses the donated PPE. The individuals should check whether the donated PPE is the correct type and fits their purpose of usage.
- 28 June 2020: Public release of a survey report on how COVID-19 affects Chinese students’ decisions to study in the UK in 2020-21 academic year
- 10 June 2020 (in Chinese): News story about the ABCP activities against COVID-19 (全英华人教授协会新冠抗疫活动纪实)
- 12 May 2020: Online survey on the impact of COVID-19 on Chinese students’ decisions to study in the UK (新冠疫情对中国学生留英学习意向影响的调查问卷)
- 15 June 2020: Official release of Impact of COVID-19 on Chinese Applicants’ Decisions to Study in the UK: A survey report to UK HEIs and some other relevant organisations
- 22 May 2020: Internal release of an interim report to UK HEIs and some other relevant organisations
- Dynamically updated since 7 February 2020 (for the donation campaign to China; in Chinese only): 关于捐助国内与英国NHS抗疫活动的动态更新 (Public announcements on our donation campaigns against COVID-19)
- Dynamically updated since 13 February 2020: List of donations received
- 22 March 2020 (in Chinese only): 全英华人教授协会为英国国民医疗服务体系（NHS）抗疫募捐的倡议 (The ABCP calls for more help from organisations in China to support NHS and frontline medical staff in the UK)
- 22 March 2020: The ABCP calls for its members and the general public to support the #clapforourcarers campaign: “SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION – Join us on THURSDAY 26TH OF MARCH 8 PM in a massive applause for the NHS!! All of you who are working at the frontline.”
- 21 March 2020: Call for donations to NHS in the UK
- 22 February 2020 (in Chinese): News story about the ABCP donation campaign against COVID-19 (全英华人教授协会捐助武汉抗疫纪实)
- 14 February 2020: Workshop on “Bring Scientists Together to Tackle the Covid-19 and Beyond” at The Royal Society in London (中文报道)
- 3 February 2020 (in Chinese): Public news release about the ABCP donation campaign against 2019-nCov (全英华人教授协会关于捐助国内防疫行动的通告)
- Letters of Appreciation
- 14th May 2020: University of Cambridge (剑桥大学)
- 29th April 2020: Wuchang Hospital, Wuhan (武汉市武昌医院)
- 30th March 2020: Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology (华中科技大学同济医学院附属协和医院)
- Articles co-authored by ABCP members regarding COVID-19:
- Kar Keung Cheng, Tai Hing Lam, Chi Chiu Leung, “Wearing face masks in the community during the COVID-19 pandemic: altruism and solidarity,” The Lancet, published online on April 16 2020, Elsevier
- Allyson M Pollock, Peter Roderick, Kar Keung Cheng, “Covid-19: why is the UK government ignoring WHO’s advice?” (editorial), The BMJ, 368:m1284, 2020, published on 30 March 2020
- Yi-Ke Guo, “用数据说话，疫情的发展我们完全可以未卜先知 (Using data to tell: we can predict future development of epidemic diseases),” Sina Technology – Scientists (新浪科技《科学大家》) and gasadaxue (高山大学), 4 March 2020
- Chi Chiu Leung, Tai Hing Lam, Kar Keung Cheng, “Mass masking in the COVID-19 epidemic: people need guidance,” The Lancet, vol. 395, no. 10228, page 945, published online on 3 March 2020, Elsevier
- Xin Wang and Yi Li (with help from Zhengbai Liu), “解剖防病毒口罩 (An anatomy of anti-virus facial masks),” 2 February 2020